Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A River That Flows Forever


In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

It's been a while, but I'm back.

And now that this semester is starting to wind down, I want to take this time to introduce my new blog: "A River That Flows Forever". The title is inspired by a poem written by Tupac Shakur for his mother, by the same name:

"As long as some suffer
The River Flows Forever
As long as there is pain
The River Flows Forever
As strong as a smile can be
The River Flows Forever
And as long as u R with me
we'll ride the River Together"


Anybody who knows me well (which is very few people) might understand where I'm coming from. Tupac is not my rolemodel. Nor do I think he should be your or your children's rolemodel. I don't condone everything he said or did. BUT, I do respect the man for standing up for his beliefs, and I honestly think he's a prime example of someone who had incredible intellectual prowess and charisma, but simply didn't have access to the opportunities that others have. Some of my own experiences are relatable, including being raised by a single mother. As such, some of my own views of society and the human condition have been shaped to an extent be this relatedness. Thus, in this light, this poem does carry a very personal meaning to me, and my own relationship with my mom (and my sisters), and I'm sure others can relate to it as well.

BTW, this is NOT being released in accordance with Mother's Day. I HATE Mother's Day. I think it's a slap in the face to mothers everywhere to have a day dedicated to them by trying to "pay them back" by buying them cheap gifts. An entire eternity is not enough to pay back your mom. Trust.

HOWEVER, the title means much, much, more.

For one thing, water is a source of life. We need it to survive. But there's also a symbolism involved here too. The word "Shari'ah" literally means a "path", as to water. Thus, it provides guidance to the human condition. When the Prophet (pbuh) ascended to the highest of the heavens on his Night Journey, he saw 4 rivers flowing out from beneath Sidrat al-Muntahaa (The Lote Tree of the Uppermost Boundary). Moreover, the Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "Whilst I was walking in Paradise I saw a river whose banks were domes of hollow pearls and I asked, "What is this, O Jibreel?" He said,"This is al-Kawthar which your Rabb has given to you". (from Anas ibn Maalik, Sahih al-Bukhaari, Kitaab ar-Riqaaq, Baab fil-Hawd, Fath al-Baari, 11/464)

Additionally, rivers have always been strategic channels of transportation for people and goods. But beyond physical movement, there are "channels of life" too, and I think a person's spiritual journey through life can be equated to traversing a river, with the ultimate destination being in the company of the Divine Presence in the Hereafter. Thus, the river never slops flowing because the journey to, and being in the company of, The One, is an eternal journey, and one that I hope we are all blessed to enjoy, Insha'Allah.


I really want to make this blog experience something unique. Whenever I post something important, I attempt to make sure it's worth the reader's time. I don't want to limit myself to particular concepts or issues either, because our world is driven by complexities, not dualities. So in that light, I hope you follow, and give feed back as well to make sure it's an interactive experience, and hopefully it can be something of benefit, Insha'Allah.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment